Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Oh, Canada.

march 16th 2011

So! Back from my self proclaimed multi-national tour of various jerks I know on the internet. (i mean that lovingly, sue me for being punchy after driving 6 hours straight) So let's get some totals up.

1340 miles driven

6 states, 1 province driven through

Roughly 21 hours of total driving

4 tickets avoided

2 exchanges where I was yelled at crossing the border for "Doing it wrong" -
- quick word of advice - 1, don't cross Sarnia/Bridge to Canada without money on you. 2. Don't tell the US douchelord customs guy that you made sales in Canada. Both lead to yelling.

4 meals eaten in-car

22 "Tim Bits" eaten (many of which were Apple fritters)

2 meals eaten at Tim Hortons

Infinitely awesome people met.

So FE had a little under 450 people attending. It was my first small-ish con i've ever been to, and they're a lot of fun, I like the more personal atmosphere, and the more relaxed way of peddling your illegal american goods to unsuspecting canucks. I didn't get to see much of the convention, but i heard good things about the panels and everythiing else from my secretive agents, AKA anyone I could pester for news about the outside world. So it was pretty cool! I haven't been to Canada since I was around 8 or 9 years old, and learned some things. Since I'm all for awesome list-making, here they are.

1. Milk in Canada comes in bags. Why.
2. Some Canadians reeeaaallly don't like Americans.
3.People in Canada speed just as much as Americans do. I dunno why this was news to me, lol.
4. The Brick is an awesomely canadian-looking sports mart-store.
5. They have Dairy queen there!
6.Toonies and loonies!
7. Their money system, while looking quite monopoly-esque, is pretty ingenious. We need to have more two dollar and one-dollare coins, paper dollars are so very not efficient.
8. The whole range of Canadian accents (thanks cipher!)
9. Pennsylvania and Indiana MUST have 75% of thier commerce based in Fireworks, I swear.
10 In winter, everything from Chicago to Toronto is about the same muddy nasty-ass color.


So that's my report. I'm still in cool-down mode that's gonna extend until Friday, when everything will start back up- I have a batch of dangly badges to do (note me if you wanna get in on it) , a sketch to finish, then Tlailaxu's commission to do. Again, it was a pleasure meeting everyone, from Kitchener to Cleveland, but i'd like to retire to my little evil hole in the wall for a few days to recouperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment